A review of: 3V GEAR Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack
For those who want to be ready when others are least ready!
Paratus is Latin for READY and this pack, the crown jewel of the 3V gear line, is designed for those individuals who want to ready for any contingency. 3V Gear initially designed this pack as a bug out bag (BOB) but this is one awesome pack for venturing around the world as a covert operative or on a mission for solitude. This pack is easily one of the toughest and most versatile military style bugout bags on the market and let me tell you why.
Overall the pack is constructed of rugged 600 Denier PVC backed nylon, with 2 large zippered compartments plus additional interior pockets and organizers, and two attached MOLLE pouches on the side of the pack. The pack also comes with a separate Deployment Pack. The deployment pack is MOLLE compatible, and can be attached to a vest or any other gear. The convenient, compact deployment pack features a handy grab handle and or can be carried around the waist with the help of a concealable waist belt.
The deployment pack is perfect for carrying additional survival gear, ammo bags, first aid kits or climbing harnesses. The entire pack with attachments has multiple D-rings, carry handles, compression straps and fasten points to provide for endless customization. Four characteristics stood out for me with this pack; comfort and fit, volume, accessibility, and useful features. Additionally, the unbelievable price point, coupled with a lifetime warranty cannot be beat. So let’s look at the four areas I evaluated on this pack.
First let’s look at the comfort and fit of this pack. You may be carrying this pack for days on end so you need something you can wear comfortably that will not limit movement. The hip straps and padding are ample and comfortable. The hip support straps snug the pack tightly to your hips allowing the weight to be carried by the strong muscles in your thighs and hips rather than balancing the load on your shoulders. They also improve balance by lowering the center of gravity which saves your back and shoulders from bearing the weight which can be a lifesaver when moving a long distance.
The widths of the straps are ample and there is plenty of padding to cushion the weight. A sternum strap is included to secure the shoulder straps in a comfortable position so you can use your chest as a counterbalance to the backward leaning force of the bag. The airflow on the back is good and there are no hard elements within the bag that may rub or poke into you.
The Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack has over 2,500 cubic inches of volume which make this one of the best bug out bags or vehicle go bags you will own. In this pack you can carry the full spectrum of mission gear; from survival supplies for yourself and a small family, the bare essentials, or enough for a long hike in the wilderness. For airline travel the dimensions on this bag are the maximum allowable for carry-on requirements which provides you plenty of organized usable space for all your travel and adventure needs both at your destination and during travel.
Now that you have a nice fitting bag that carries the right amount of survival supplies, let’s look at accessibility. What we want in an efficient bag is one large compartment to store general items and several separate, smaller compartments for storing smaller subgroups of items. The Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack hits the mark with multiple compartments and a separate Deployment Pack.
So now you have a backpack that meets your basic needs, so what are some useful features you should look for that will increase your chances of survival while bugging out? You want any bag you choose to be able to integrate a hydration bladder. The bladder system makes it easy to carry large amounts of water over long distances. Since you will be exerting yourself, keeping properly hydrated will be essential to keep you moving as fast and as far as possible. Another must for any bag is MOLLE compatibility.
MOLLE is an acronym for Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment. It is used to define the current generation of load-bearing equipment and packs utilized by a number of armed forces. This widespread use means that there are a HUGE number of compatible options for adding accessories to a MOLLE compatible bag. Items that use MOLLE include tool sheaths, pouches, hydration bladders, and medical kits. The Paratus 3 Day Operator’s Pack has the ability to integrate a hydration bladder and is not only MOLLE compatible but has multiple D-rings, carry handles, compression straps and fasten points to provide for endless customization.
This is the “Old Reliable” of packs meant for those who want to be ready for any contingency. I am so impressed with the large number of features and quality… at such an unbelievable price point. This pack will carry just about anything, anywhere, anytime. You will not find another pack of this quality on the market at this price point.
- PRODUCT SCORES
- Normally I provide both pro’s and con’s but since there are almost no con’s let me just give you all the feature of the pack itself and the deployment bag
- Built to exacting standards from heavy-duty 600D PVC nylon
• Double stitched seams
• Main compartment: 20″H x 12″W x 5.5″D (1320 cubic inches) with internal organization
• Top front: 13″H x 12″W x 3″D (468 cubic inches) pleated w/ internal organization
• Two large MOLLE pouches attached to each side, (5″x 2.5″x 8″, 100 cubic inches)
• Overall Size: 2,420 cubic inches
• Padded laptop sleeve – fits most 17″ laptops
• Body contoured shoulder straps with D-Ring for equipment attachment
• Adjustable padded waist belt
• Waist belt measures 52″
• External side compression straps
• Heavy-duty, padded carry and drag handle
• Molded EVA back panel
• Two double zipper pulls on the main compartment for easy access
• All zipper pulls threaded with para-cord for durability and noise reduction
• MOLLE and PALs attachment points throughout
• Elastic strap keepers for loose strap management
• Includes 3V Gear Rapid Deployment pack (see below)
• 3″ x 5″ Velcro ID panel. 3V Gear logo and American flag PVC patches included.
• Hydration compatible
• Sternum strap
• Total Weight (including Rapid Deployment Pack): 4.45 lbs.
• Available in: Olive Drab, Black, Foliage Grey and Coyote Tan
RAPID DEPLOYMENT PACK FEATURES:
- Sturdy nylon construction
• MOLLE attachment straps
• Heavy-duty military nylon coil zippers
• Three zippered compartments
• Interior pocket dividers and organizers
• Double sewn nylon webbing carry handle
• 2 pen holders
• Side-release buckles
• Compression straps
• Size: 432 cubic inches
• Shoulder strap: 48″ long x 2″ wide
• Weight: 1.15 lbs.