As a fitness instructor and nutritionist I’m very passionate about sharing my knowledge and experiences with others. I’ve been teaching for over 26 years and with that being said, I’ve seen a lot of fitness products come and go, some good and some bad. It seems as if the new Prio shoes from Xero Shoes just might be here to stay. With smart marketing, a favorable price and a shoe that offers not only a unique design and function the company might offer more in their stable to consumers.
When it comes to products that help me do my job longer and better I’m always looking for that ‘it’ factor. The ‘it’ factor is a product that should allow me to do my job better. I need a product that will hold up to a high amount of use and when it comes to my clients and products, before I vouch for something, I want to give it an in-depth look and test. My clients have to trust me to give them the best information I can.
Because I’m on my feet for a good amount of time throughout the day, and for many intense hours, it’s important for me to have something that feels good and is light-weight. The Prio definitely meets my requirements. Let’s get started with some background first. Steve Sashen sent the Spotter Up writers a half-dozen pairs of shoes to review. I decided I wanted to test out the Prio.
The Prio comes in men’s and women’s, with two colors for the men and three colors for the women’s line. The women’s colors came in a Citron Yellow, Lilac and a Nautical Blue. I wasn’t a fan of the Yellow so I settled on the Lilac which I felt was a striking color. The shoe is stylish and has a very slender look. I personally feel the shoes look great. They are not clunky looking in any way. It’s a running shoe but minimally cushioned. It has flex grooves at the bottom of the shoe near the midfoot and the forefoot in order to allow you to flex nicely. There is good protection with the added material they use for the instep.
I immediately noticed how light they are after taking them out of the box. I wore them on my hardwood floors and could feel the difference between the Prios and some of the other shoes I wear such as the Nike Pegasus or the Brooks Glycerines. The upper’s cushioning feels very soft and doesn’t apply any pressure to the dorsal part of my foot even when tied tightly. The heel of the shoe has a strong pull tab that helps you get your shoe on. The stitching is strong.
Because I do so much on my feet I like my shoes to provide good balance. Shoes with too much of a outsole aren’t very good for side to side movements and I really don’t want to roll my ankles and get an injury. I started out running track & field in high school and have a great interest in how my body functions. I’ve taught hundreds of students over the years and spent hundreds of hours in and out of shoes teaching Yoga, Les Mills RPM, Les Mills CXWORX, Pilates, Barre, Hiit and more. Pivoting, lateral movements, forward and backwards movements are all incorporated into my routines, and so is bending and jumping. The shoes allow for proper body posture, balance and agility because of their non-elevated heel and low to the ground profile. I get a good toe-off and can push from the ground quicker with the Prio than I could with my 4mm to 12mm drop shoes. A women’s size 7 shoe weighs only 6.4 ounces each. Most running shoes can weigh about 9.6 ounces or more. The Prios are lightweight and flexible.
I need a shoe that doesn’t limit my mobility, that looks good at the gym (because I represent my work), and holds up to prolonged abuse. Xero Shoes Prio’s have a 5000-mile Sole guarantee on the shoes. At the gym I noticed they have great traction that allowed me to jump, pivot and kick and I did all of it easily. I noted to my husband how light-weight they felt. Really a great shoe for the gym. I didn’t have sore feet after spending hours in them. The shoes have nice overlays that keep the shoe sturdy and the laces from shifting. Take a look at the images below. Notice how flexible the shoes are on my feet.
The shoes come with heel and an adjustable instep straps that are functional. The idea is to use the strap to lock in your instep while keeping your toes free to move. All the straps are reflective – great for evening or early morning runs. I have hiked with these shoes on a weekly basis over easy terrain. The company offers the optional 2mm insole for those who want a bit more protection on the bottom of their feet. This company is onto good things. I recommend this shoe to anyone who wants to run, walk, or use in the gym for lifting weights. Stylish and functional.
- Natural FIT — A wide toe box lets your toes spread and relax. Plus the “XERO-drop” sole (non-elevated heel and low-to-the ground) allows for proper posture, balance and agility
- Natural MOTION — The Prio is flexible enough to let your feet bend, move, and flex the way, well, that feet are supposed to. Plus, they’re so light weight, you’ll barely know you have them on. A women’s 7 is only 6.4 ounces each
- Natural FEEL — The Prio uses the same 5.5mm FeelTrue® rubber from our Z-Trek sandal, so you get great protection while still getting the ground feedback that your feet like. With an optional 2mm insole, the Prio lets you Feel The World®
- Vegan friendly materials — No animal products in the Prio
- Huarache inspired design — The heel strap is not only eye-catching but functional
- Adjustable instep strap — The “inverted V” straps aren’t sewn down, so you can use them to lock in your instep while keeping your toes free to move
- Reflective straps — That middle section of the heel and instep straps is highly reflective for evenings and night
- Optional 2mm insole — If you need a bit of extra protection, toss in the optional 2mm insole
- Barefoot friendly — Wear the Prio with or without socks
- 5,000 mile sole warranty — like ALL our FeelTre® soles, the Prio’s has our 5,000 mile sole warranty
Going over the shoe pros:
- Good for balance because of the low drop
- A wide toe box lets your toes spread
Going over the cons:
- Needs more color options
- Cost 5/5 Priced much lower at $89.00 than most shoes that price well over $100.00
- Comfort (if applicable) 5/5
- Durability 4/5 perhaps 5/5 but I haven’t had them more than a month.
- Functionality 5/5
- Weight 5/5
- Overall Rating 24/25
I received this product as a courtesy from the manufacturer via Spotter Up so I could test it and give my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give this product a good review. All opinions are my own and are based off my personal experience with the product.
*The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the original authors and contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of Spotter Up Magazine, the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.
Brought to you by the dudes at Spotter Up