Hazard 4 has a knack for making professional-grade tactical bags and packs which are so cool looking and functional that it makes your “want”-meter go all the way into the red zone. I have been fortunate enough to review their products before, and they tend to be incredibly well thought out, ergonomic, comfortable and just plain useful. The Freelance is no exception, and it is probably the best professional tactical photography pack on the market. It allows quick access to your camera and associated gear by easily swinging the storage compartments to your front, and the padded dividers are easily moveable for customizing your equipment load out. Watch the video below to see a quick demonstration of some of its features.
- a just-right sized padded sling for most SLR’s, and larger mirrorless systems with extra lenses
- rotates from back to chest for fast gear access
- movable divider system and thermoformed back
- 3 large external pockets, one with admin area
- molle covered main strap with locking buckle
- molle cutouts on the larger front velcro-patch field
- tripod tie-down area and multiple grab/carry handles
- also works as a carrying bag for drones – fits Dji Mavic Pro
– External Size: ~14.9″ L x 7.5″ W x 7.9″ D (38 x 19 x 20 cm)
– Main Compartment: ~13.2″ L x 6.7″ W x 5.7″ D (32.5 x 17 x 14.5 cm); ~2.2″/5.5 cm depth at the narrowest point
– Laptop Compartment/Tablet Compartment: ~14.5″ L x 6.8″ W x 0.5″ D (37 x 17 x 1 cm); ~3.3″/8 cm depth at the narrowest point
– Total Gear Capacity: ~14.5 L (882.8 cubic inches)
– Product Weight: ~2.1 lbs.
– Main Material: Invest® 1000D Cordura®; PU x2 water repellent coated for superior water resistance.
– Design: Long Beach, California – In-House Team.
– Manufacturing: Imported
The Freelance is made from 1000D water resistant cordura and has the typical bomb-proof construction and well designed features I’ve come to expect from Hazard 4 such as: a thermoformed back panel, a hard shell compartment, traditional and laser-cut molle, expansion straps, buckles, D-rings, rubber handles, a padded compartment for tablet devices and a front velcro patch. The padded compartment has loop material on one side, so you can attach a velcro backed holster to it and use it for quick-access off-body concealed carry of a firearm if you choose to. The bag also sports a tripod tie-down area on the side and a set of double grommets that can be used to attach a patent-pending system of hard points, lights and other features.
The bag comes with padded dividers in the main compartment that allow you to create four separate spaces for an SLR and extra lenses, or a small drone such as a DJI Mavic. I elected to carry an SLR with a lens attached and a pair of binoculars in the main compartment, and keeping a larger macro lens in the top compartment separated by one of the padded dividers. There are a variety of ways you can set up the padded dividers to suit your needs, and the ability to customize the internal compartment is a great design feature making this bag adaptable to different equipment.
As with other Hazard 4 products I’ve used, the straps are comfortable and adjustable with a large padded hip pad and a cross body attachment strap that clips to the main sling strap and secures the pack in place when you are on the move. The bag will stay in place, and protect your gear during physical activities, and will stay out of the way until you need it, at which point swinging it around to access the compartments is too easy. This bag is ideal for day trips and traveling with your camera gear, and can also be used as a go bag when you need a couple days worth of clothes and essential items.
Comfort (if applicable): 4
Overall Rating: 4.5
The scale is defined as:
Poor/unacceptable (1): Worse than expected, or desirable; of a low or inferior standard or quality.
Fair (2): In conformity with reasonable expectations, but in comparison to competitors is may be deficient
Average (3): Common item; item neither lacks from or is superior than a competitors item.
Good (4): The item is desirable and has qualities that excel in comparison to a competitors item
Excellent (5): Outstanding, possesses superior quality; remarkably good
Buy the Freelance direct from the Hazard 4 website or from Amazon:
I received this product as a courtesy from the manufacturer via Spotter Up so I could test it and give my honest feedback. I am not bound by any written, verbal, or implied contract to give this product a good review. All opinions are my own and are based off my personal experience with the product.
*The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the original authors and contributors. These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of Spotter Up Magazine, the administrative staff, and/or any/all contributors to this site.
Brought to you by the dudes at Spotter Up